“School governing bodies, and Wylam is no different, have a major and supportive role for the Head and staff in a complex and constantly changing education environment.
A vital part of our supportive role is what might best be described as that of a critical friend. Our relationship with the Head is one based on trust and openness. It is an enjoyable, if demanding, privilege to serve as Chairman of a very committed and talented governing body”
Ken John – Chair of Governors
The governing body at Wylam school has 13 members made up of members of staff, parents, members of the community and Local Authority governors. The governing body has full meetings termly and interim meetings three times a year. Some work is delegated to committees and these will meet as required. Governors are appointed for a term of four years.
What is the role of the Governing body?
At Wylam the governing body:
- works closely with the head teacher;
- makes decisions collectively as a team;
- delegates decision-making to committees or to individuals, for example: the staffing committee, or the headteacher
- conducts most of its business through meetings, making use of relevant papers and guidance, and advice from the head teacher
What do school governors do?
School governors are expected to:
- promote high standards of educational attainment;
- set targets for pupil achievement;
- take general responsibility for the conduct of the school;
- manage the school’s budget, including deciding on staff numbers and pay;
- make sure that the curriculum is balanced and broadly based, in particular that the National Curriculum and religious education are taught, and report on results and pupils’ achievement in National Curriculum assessments;
- participate in the appointment of senior staff (including appointing the head teacher) and regulate staff conduct and discipline;
- draw up an action plan after an inspection by the Office for Standards in Education (OFSTED).
Local Authority Governors
Mrs S Marsden
Mrs P Smith
Mr K John
Mr C Linfoot
Dr J Drake
Mrs M Dunnett
Mrs J Sinclair
Mrs L Clarke
Mrs Y Hamilton
Mrs F Mitchell
Mrs L Johnson
Clerk to Governors
Paula Brown NCC