The Year 1 curriculum is taught through 6 half termly topics:
|Autumn 1||Autumn 2||Spring 1||Spring 2||Summer 1||Summer 2|
|Homes||All About Me|
Mrs Jukes is the Year 1 Classroom Teacher.
Welcome back! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with your lovely children.
As you may already know I have now been appointed as a permanent member of staff at Wylam and as such I will remain with Year 1 until the end of the academic year. Louise Hampton who is a PGCE teaching student will be with us for five weeks and under my supervision she will be planning and delivering lessons for the class.
The topic for this term is All About Me. The teaching and learning in this topic will include:
Communication, Language and Literacy
Reading, writing and speaking based on the following:
- Non-fiction – Magic Grandads’ Toybox, Labels(weather chart and parts of the body), Lists (for shopping, packing for a weekend away).
- Fiction – Funny Bones, Kipper’s Toybox, Big Bad Bill, This is the Bear and Percy the Park Keeper stories.
- Phonics: reading and writing words with the following sounds: th, ng , igh, oa , ar, ai, or,ur, ow, oi ear, air, ure and er.
- Key words: practise reading and writing common words eg: the, it, said, so, he, she, we, me, be, was, but, have, like, some, come, was, you, that, her, were, there, little, one, they, all, are.
- Spellings will be sent out this week and tests will resume on Friday mornings.
Problem-solving, Reasoning and Numeracy
- Number: counting in 2’s 5’s and 10’s to 100 from any number.
- Learn: addition is related to counting on; that adding can be done in any order; to use informal and formal written methods to add and subtract .
- Learn: subtraction as ‘take away’; to find the ‘difference’ by counting up; that subtraction can not be done in any order.
- Measures: estimating and measuring weight using standard (g/kg) and non-standard measures (e.g. buttons).
- Money: recognition of coins and calculating total cost.
- Time: o’clock, half-past, quarter to and past (more advanced if already known)
- Position: above, below, next to etc.
- Shape: 2D revision and 3D- learn cube, cuboid, sphere, pyramid, cone, triangular prism.
Knowledge and Understanding of the World
We will be learning about: the parts of our bodies, how they move and keeping safe in extreme temperatures. Learning will also cover cold weather around the world and religious winter festivals. We will use computers to complement and extend our learning.
Creative development and Physical Development
- Winter collages, self-portraits, observational figure drawing in proportion, creating moods in paintings (Scream by Munch) music (Halloween by John Carpenter), gymnastics and country dancing.
- Games: Ball skills related to hockey, football and tag rugby. ( Please come in kit on Friday mornings).
- Large apparatus: creating sequences combining travelling and steady balances on different body parts.
Personal and Social Development
We will be studying and discussing ‘ourselves’ in terms of our emotions and feelings (anger, resentment, jealousy, love, happiness etc).
As we aim to adjust our planning in response to the children, the topic based themes may vary from above but the basics in numeracy and literacy will always be covered.
If you are available to help in school you are always welcome. You can either let me know in advance or just ask on the day. It is always helpful to have an extra pair of hands! Monday afternoons would be particularly good to help the children learn country dancing. This will be between1:30and2.20 pm.It is good exercise and I don’t mind if well-behaved little siblings come along!
I am really looking forward to teaching this wonderful class to the end of Year 1 and am confident they will make significant progress. If you have any questions please feel free to pop in to see me.
(BA Hons, PGCE)
Please click here on The Classroom to see what our school theme is for 2012/2013.