Welcome to Year 4′s page.
This year’s learning is taught through half termly topics (see below). Scroll down to view this half term’s newsletter.
|Autumn 1||Autumn 2||Spring 1||Spring 2||Summer1||Summer 2|
|The Great Outdoors||A Victorian Adventure||The Wonderful World of Roald Dahl||The Iron Man||A Journey to Africa|
Dear Parents and Children,
Welcome back! I hope you have all had a very happy Christmas and would like to wish you all the very best for 2013. This half term we are delighted to have Mrs Long returning to school, who will be teaching Year 4 on Wednesday mornings. Mr Kaufmann (classroom assistant student and sports coach) will also continue to work with children in Year 4 and accompany us when we go swimming. It’s a new year, and a new term and we have lots to look forward to!
The Wonderful World of Roald Dahl
Our topic this term is The Wonderful World of Roald Dahl! Here is a brief summary of some of our learning this half term:
Knowledge and Understanding
- Science – Solids and Liquids and how they can be separated
- History / geography – to research information about the life of author Roald Dahl. To locate places where Roald Dahl lived, worked and visited using atlases.
- ICT – using search engines and google maps to research Roald Dahl and the places he visited. Creating a front cover and contents page.
Communication, Language and Literacy
- George’s Marvellous Medicine.
- Writing a story for our Reception friends.
- French – focusing on pronunciation, naming everyday objects
- Weekly handwriting (Tuesdays) and spelling (Mondays) sessions in the classroom.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Number
- Multiplication, fractions and decimals
- Written methods for addition and subtraction
- Problem solving using money and measures.
- Daily mental maths involving times tables, number bonds etc, including a weekly mental maths mix up quiz (Thursday mornings)
- Weekly problem solving sessions with Mrs Long.
- Daily Activate
- Gymnastics – Balance
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- PSHE – Going for goals
- Creative Development
- Music with Mrs Long
- Art – illustration – Quentin Blake. This will include making our own illustrations for our stories.
Homework will continue to be on Fridays. Children will also read with an adult in school once a week. Swimming is on Tuesdays and PE on Thursdays. Please bring in PE kits as soon as possible and leave in school.
As ever, if you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact school or pop in and see me in the classroom– after school is usually best.
Lucy Howells, Year 4 Class Teacher
Please click here on The Classroom to see what our school theme is for 2012/2013.