Welcome to Year 4′s page.
This year’s learning is taught through half termly topics (see below). Scroll down to view this half term’s newsletter.
|Autumn 1||Autumn 2||Spring 1||Spring 2||Summer1||Summer 2|
|An Unexpected Journey||A Victorian Adventure|
Dear Parents and Children,
I hope you have all had a restful and enjoyable half term holidays. We are looking forward to a lovely half term ahead of us in Year 4, including preparing for Christmas shows and all the other things the season brings!
- Please note that spellings will continue to be handed out Mondays, to be tested on Fridays.
- Homework will be handed out on Fridays, to be handed in by Wednesdays.
- PE will be on Mondays – please ensure correct fitting kit, including shoes and something to tie back long hair, is in school at all times.
- Swimming will be on Tuesdays.
- Mrs Long will continue to teach Year 4 on Wednesdays mornings.
- We will have weekly shared reading with our Reception friends on Thursday mornings.
- We are so lucky to have voluntary help and support in Year 4. Other people you may see in Year 4 are Mrs Heffernan (Tuesday mornings), Mrs Maclean (Tues / Wed afternoons) and Mrs Hardy (Thursday mornings). Fantastic staff already in school such as Mrs Mahon, Mrs Theobald and Mrs Green also work with children in Year 4.
Our topic this half term is, “A Victorian Adventure.” Below is a summary of our learning:
Communication, Language and Literacy
- Stories set in the past – “Shadow Play” (a Victorian mystery story)
- Poetry – Christmas poems
- Play scripts – using our Christmas play text, “A Midwife Crisis”.
- Weekly guided reading, shared reading, spelling, grammar and handwriting sessions.
Number, Problem Solving and Reasoning
- Data handling
- Problems involving money
- Weekly problem solving sessions, weekly mental maths quiz.
Knowledge and Understanding
- RE – continuing with images of God; the Christmas Story
- Science – Keeping Warm. We will learn about temperature and how to measure it, and about how things can be made hot or cool.
- History – What was life like for children living in Victorian Britain? (with Mrs Long)
- Drama, singing, dance – preparing for our Christmas Play with Year 3, “A Midwife Crisis!”
- Creating patterns in the style of William Morris.
- Christmas crafts including cards, Victorian crafts.
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
We will be updating you with all upcoming events and visits soon (Many of them Christmas related) but here are one or two important ones for your diary.
- Thursday 12th December – afternoon and evening performances of our Christmas Play, “A Midwife Crisis”.
- Friday 13th December – Visit to Hexham Queens Hall to see, “Treasure Island.”
- Thursday 19th December – Key Stage 2 Christmas party
- Friday 20th December – Church service at 1.30. Break up.
If you have any queries or questions then please don’t hesitate to pop in and have a brief chat with me after school or contact the office if you would like to arrange a longer appointment.
Lucy Howells, Year 4 Class Teacher
Please click here on The Classroom to see what our school theme is for 2013/2014.